As we are in the full swing of summer, when it isn’t raining that is, protecting our skin from the daily ravages is more important than ever. Below are 5 tips to keep your skin looking radiant all through summer.
- Keep hydrated H2O for life I don’t know about you but when I don’t drink enough water I feel my lips shrink like a raisin and my skin looks dull. So it goes without saying drink plenty of water for hydration and the advice regarding the amount is to be guided by your own thirst levels but aim to drink more when exercising and if it is a particularly hot day.
- Peel it! Increase the rate of skin turnover by having chemical peels which encourage your skin to slough off dead skins and accelerate skin turnover which leads to fresh dewy skin. As we age our skin cell turnover decreases from about 28 days up to 50-100 days depending on age. When old skin cells remain on the surface it gives you that dull grey appearance.
- Practice a regime The old adage, cleanse, tone and moisturise is outdated advice. We know that we need to cleanse and moisturise our skin and then protect with an SPF. Toners can dry out the skin and upset the PH balance of the skin.
- Wear a physical sunblock every day Few people realise the importance of the effects of sun damage on your skin and in fact research has shown that sun is more damaging to skin than smoking! SPF is used to protect our skin from UVA and UVB rays. Using a physical sunblock will reflect these rays off your skin and a high quality sunblock should contain titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide. Avoid chemical sunblocks as there is research to show that they contain hormone disruptors and although they are FDA approved I would be weary of using a chemical sunscreen. Make sure to use on those grey days as we know UVA penetrates through windows.
- Feed your skin Hydration alone isn’t enough to plum up your skin, we need results driven skincare products to really nourish our skin and make it look dewy and glowing. Eating a diet full of Omega-3 Fatty acids will help at a cellular level and It is important to invest in products that are suited to your skin type and concern.